Fearlessly do good!

Posted by Machete , Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:32 PM

I watched this little video today and loved it.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naqX9iYE0V0

There are so many good things at our disposal. I find that when we fill our time with good things, there is no room for evil, and those good things grow and multiply:

"Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall reap good for your reward"   D&C 6:33

I've wondered why we would be afraid of doing good things. I think that the analogy of reaping what we sow helps explain. When I'm holding a little seed of goodness, sometimes I wonder to myself if in planting, nourishing, tending to and caring for it, it will yield good fruit. Maybe I fear that all of my work will be wasted, or that I will be disappointed. Indeed, it can be hard to see the tree from the seed. But when I have faith in Christ when He says that I will reap good, the fear leaves.

It is also comforting that God has given us each very real power to do actual good. At another time He said:

"The power is in them, wherin they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward."    D&C 58:28 (italics from me)

Thus He gives a commandment:

"Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness."     D&C 58:27 (italics again from me)

The commandment seems to be in force because where there is good to be done, and seeds to be sown, God expects us to "bring [it] to pass." I have some great incentive to do and be good, and I'm really impressed at the power of the words of a dead prophet. Thanks for the important lesson today, President Hinkley!

1 Response to "Fearlessly do good!"

CBC Says:

Thank you sir! I need to do better at that.

Post a Comment